Tuesday, April 30, 2013

[Life] The Best Days of My Life

I've mentioned time and time again how Semester At Sea changed me forever. I read this today, and I thought the author did a great job putting feelings into words. I spent a weekend in Austin 2 weeks ago with 5 of my dearest friends - the girls I sailed with, the girls who, no matter how long it's been, will always fall right back into step with each other. We shared something most can't understand, and our continuing friendship is such a strong reflection of that.

"As I hauled my bags out of the port terminal in Barcelona, I was greeted by a large group of eager parents who were waiting to welcome their children back from this incredible adventure. One of the moms asked me as I passed by, “So how was it?” All I could do was shake my head and confess to the parents nearby, “None of your children will ever be able to fully explain what this experience has been like.” It’s unfortunate, but true. You can never grasp what Semester at Sea is really about until you’ve sailed. The intensity of the community that forms is unlike anything I’ve ever experienced before, the encounters in each port make permanent impressions on us all, and watching your fellow voyagers grow and change as they discover both themselves and the world around them is simply magical.

...I recognize that my Semester at Sea experience doesn’t finish here. So many of the people I met  on board will be friends for life. The lessons I’ve learned will be with me forever. And, given the addictive nature of the Semester at Sea experience, I’ll likely be back again one day in some capacity."

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I absolutely love hearing from readers! Thanks for stopping by!
And I make a point to visit the blogs of my commenters, so if you have one, please leave me a way of getting there along with your comment.

(Please don't leave a comment that's only asking me to go to your blog - you might have a great blog but this type of comment is just bad manners.)