Friday, June 22, 2012

[Blogging] No-Reply Blogger

There have been a lot of posts in the blogosphere lately that fall under one of these categories:

  1. What I hate about blogging (Disguised as "How to be a Better Blogger" post)
  2. What I hate about commenters/readers/etc (Also disguised as the "How to be a Better Blogger/Reader" post)
  3. What I hate about other bloggers (Disguised as discussions about "Blog Snobs")

I'm kind of getting tired of reading about it. But I am not going to add to the negativity by whining about it. (Hollie at Hollie Takes Notes also was discussing the issue of blogger whining here - it's a good read!) Can't we all just get along and ignore the blogs that irk us?

Anyway. Let's get to the point.

There are a lot of posts out there lamenting the "No Reply Blogger". What, you ask, is the no-reply blogger? Well, on many blogs, when you comment, the blogger gets an email saying you commented and showing the content in your comment.  Most of you are probably saying "duh" (do people still say that or am I regressing to the 90s?) because you're bloggers, too, and you get these emails. They are awesome, because we don't have to keep going back to our blogs, right?

But when that email comes, it will come from an email address...and sometimes the email address is noreply-comment@blogger.com aka "No Reply Blogger". Often, bloggers would love to just email you a reply. If you have an email address on your comment, it can be done. If you don't, we have to go back to the blog to comment.

This is what a noreply blogger email looks like!

Now, let it be known I'm not whining about noreply-blogger. I don't really care. I mean, it's easier if you have an email, but if you don't I don't get all bent out of shape about it. Whatevs. I will always try and go to my blog to reply if I can't reply via email. However, I'm never sure if anyone actually sees that I reply or comes back to check, so there's that.

What I'm really writing about here is how to fix noreply-blogger if you so choose. I'm not asking you to or anything, but I know when I wanted to change mine I couldn't figure out how in the world to do it. Friends, I am here to help!

All other posts on how to do this, that I could find anyway, tell you how to do it from the original blogger dashboard. But what if you have the new blogger dashboard? Egads!! I thought this post might really help out some others who don't know how to change it. I spent weeks trying to figure it out.

NOTE: If you have linked blogger to Google+, these directions will not apply. I have never linked my blog to Google+ so I don't know how to do it if you have. I do know that if you've linked to Google+ in the last 30 days, you can switch back using the info found here: http://www.blogger.com/revert-profile.g ...Otherwise - I'm sorry, but this won't help!

Here is the part of the post where you all should be glad I was a technical writer, because hopefully these directions are clear, concise, and easy to follow.

You have to go back to the old blogger dashboard. This is the biggest problem with every other "how to get rid of no-reply blogger" post that's out there. They don't tell you to do this if you have new blogger dashboard!!!

1.


Go to the gear at the top right of your blogger dashboard.

2.

Select Old Blogger Interface.

3.


Select Edit Profile when the old dashboard appears.

4.
Make sure "Show my email address" is checked. The email that is set will be to the right of the setting. To change it, go to Identity and type in email address.

5. Hit Save. This takes you back to the old blogger dashboard.

6. Select "Upgrade Now" from the link at the top of the page. There should be a displayed message about old blogger dashboard going away and would you like to upgrade? It's in there.

That's it! You're done!

There may be other ways to do this without going backwards (when old blogger goes away for good I have no idea how this will work), but this is the way I figured out. If you know of another way, please leave it in the comments!!

I know a big part of my problem is that my blogger is connected to my Google+. I'm curious if the issue and the solve is the same for those who don't have blogger connected to Google+.

Anyway....hope this helped!

6 comments:

  1. Oh! So interesting!

    I don't get my comments to my email and am cool with that, but nice to know it's a possibility to do that if I choose. On top of that, nice to know how to fix the no-reply thingy :) Thnx Smarty Pants!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much drama and bitching going on....like you said whatevs.....let's all get along and mind our own business! ;) I hope your post helped some! Very informative, lady!
    xo,
    Shanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking this post would help me,alas it did not :(  I recently changed the email associated with my blog,and added google+.  When I went to the old blogger interface and clicked on edit profile,it just takes me to the google+ page?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked into the Google+ thing and couldn't find anything about it! I've never linked my blog to Google+ so I'm not sure how it can be fixed from there...perhaps I'll mess around with linking up one of my old blogs just to see if I can figure it out. I'll let you know - until then I put a note in the above post that it won't work with Google+ attached blogs! :(

      Delete
  4. Me too, CeLynn! Thanks for the post, nonetheless...

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love hearing from readers! Thanks for stopping by!
And I make a point to visit the blogs of my commenters, so if you have one, please leave me a way of getting there along with your comment.

(Please don't leave a comment that's only asking me to go to your blog - you might have a great blog but this type of comment is just bad manners.)