Saturday, October 27, 2012

[Blogging] Soul Searching

Sh*t's about to get real up in here.

Many of you know that I've always had a love-hate relationship with style blogging. I worry that it can be narcissistic. I worry I have nothing to offer. I worry that the idea of lil ol' me being a style blogger is downright ridiculous. I spent my whole life trying to be as stylish as some of the women I've surrounded myself with over the years, and I can't imagine that I've learned enough to warrant style blogging.

These thoughts come to the forefront now and then and I've always been able to stuff them back down. But over the last month or two, I've really been thinking: why am I doing this? And here's what I came up with:
  • Because I love to write. If I wasn't writing about clothes I'd be writing about something else.
  • Because I aspire to be stylish every time I step out of the house, no matter where I'm going.
  • Because I'm learning about style each and every day through this awesome community of bloggers.
  • Because seeing photos of my outfits helps me to realize what works and what doesn't. And there's still a lot of doesn't!
  • Because some days, I just don't feel like putting myself together and this blog makes me accountable.
  • Because I am scared to death that once I have children I'll become that blob of a mom who never wears anything but yoga pants and sweatshirts. Having a blog will keep me accountable then, too!
I think the biggest disconnect here that has been causing me to continually question my blogging is that I don't really feel I'm giving anything to the blogging community. I'm no Blair or Aimee or Jessica, nor am I even in the same universe as those fabulously stylish women. 

So I've thought and thought and thought about it and am going to start some new things this blog. I don't think it's necessary to go into the details of exactly how it's changing or what I'll be doing - you'll see it soon enough. And it will still allow me to reap the benefits I listed above, and it will still be about fashion, but I will hopefully be posting content that's useful for others and informative. 

I've made it my goal to make this blog not just a series of pictures of what I'm wearing, but to write posts with accompanying outfits that readers can take something from. This blog is doing a sucky job of that as it stands right now and I've finally figured out how I'm going to do that. I'm super excited to share my new ideas with you!! It'll take a few weeks to get moving, since I have the next two week's worth of posts already scheduled (I can't even believe that!) - but it'll start soon enough!

2 comments:

  1. I have felt the exact same. It's hard to keep up with fashion blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think you are amazing, jamie! and i think you DO add something to the blogging community! you offer such a unique perspective - everyone does! never devalue yourself :) you're wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love hearing from readers! Thanks for stopping by!
And I make a point to visit the blogs of my commenters, so if you have one, please leave me a way of getting there along with your comment.

(Please don't leave a comment that's only asking me to go to your blog - you might have a great blog but this type of comment is just bad manners.)