Thursday, January 10, 2013

[Clothing] The Wedding Dress

Sorry to single a group out, but I have a question to ask of the ladies who are married or have been married (even if you are no longer). It's a question about something near and dear to a fashionista's heart....her wedding dress.




I got married in 2009, and wore a gorgeous, beaded halter gown that cost me over $1,000. Since then, it has been hanging in my closet untouched. And I have no idea what to do with it.

I am so torn. I love my wedding gown. However. What I really want to do is get rid of it. I know I'll never wear it again. I know all it's doing is taking up a freaking ton of space in one of my closets. But I haven't been able to get rid of it. Why? Because I am scared that one day, maybe tomorrow or maybe 20 years from now, I desperately wish I hadn't.



What do I think is going to change? I have no idea. I don't have any illusions that a potential future daughter will ever want to wear it. (My mother's gown was long sleeves. No way was that even on my short list of ideas when I got married.) I am guessing my hesitation has to do with the fact that I am really good at creating emotional ties with items and while I don't feel like I have one now, this dress is a representation of something so monumental and a day so earth-shatteringly amazing that I would rather hang on to it than risk wishing I had.



A 2013 goal of mine for my home is less clutter. Right now, I feel this dress is clutter. And one woman's clutter is another woman's gold in some cases. I wonder...will I really miss it one day if I just sell it now, while it's still stylish and someone might still want it? Or perhaps even donate it?

So....I ask of you ladies...what did you do with your wedding dress once you got married? Did you regret it or do you think you made the right choice?







8 comments:

  1. My dress is still hanging in my closet too! I actually want to have it shortened to cocktail length and dye it black so I can wear it again. I just haven't gotten around to doing it. Personally I could never sell my dress and I don't see the point of preserving it in a box. :)

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart
    Datevitation Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with you girl, I'm struggling with that right now. I don't want to get rid of it and I know I won't ever get rid of it - but at the same time, I'm not sure what to do about it. :( :( :( I wish I had better advice, but I'd say don't get rid of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got married September 2012 and I am already wondering this same thing! I worked so hard to rock my dress - do I really want to let it go? But do I need to hoard it forever? Isn't that why I spent $$$$ on pics? {sigh} I know I am no help ... lol.

    Shia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting!

    Beautiful wedding dress - I wore a halter, too! I don't think I could ever get rid of mine. I love it too much. My mom had mine preserved, and now it's kept somewhere in a box at my parents' house. Maybe when they preserve and box it up, it takes up less room? Might be something to consider. One of my friends ended up making a Baptism dress for her daughter out of hers, which I thought was a sweet idea. Mine is lace, so it's possible my daughter would want to cut it up and wrap it around her bouquet someday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent question! I still have mine hanging in a closet, too, but thankfully it's not big and poofy so it doesn't take up much space. It's actually been worn twice, though! Once when I got married and then a friend borrowed it when she got married. But, still, something else needs to happen. I just don't know what, either!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Jamie! I got married this past summer, and for me, I decided that I will be keeping my wedding dress just because it means so much to me, and it's so beautiful. What I decided to do was put it in a preservation box! David's Bridal offers a cleaning and preserving service, and they do a beautiful job!

    http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Davids-Bridal-Wedding-Gown-Preservation-Kit-DAVIDSWGP

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm keeping it in hopes that my daughter may want even a piece of it someday for her own wedding. Or she can play super glamorous dress up at some point. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true - the resounding advice has been to keep it so I think that's the plan. Probably going to see about better ways to store it because right now the space it's hogging in the closet is driving me crazy. :)

      Delete

I absolutely love hearing from readers! Thanks for stopping by!
And I make a point to visit the blogs of my commenters, so if you have one, please leave me a way of getting there along with your comment.

(Please don't leave a comment that's only asking me to go to your blog - you might have a great blog but this type of comment is just bad manners.)