Monday, December 31, 2012

[Blogging] Top Posts of 2012

Since today is the last day of 2012, I thought it was only fitting to recap the top 5 posts of the year. I wasn't quite sure how to attack this - I have blogger stats (which most of us know to be quite skewed), Google Analytics stats (which are pretty true to form - however, when I redid my blog layout, there was a week or two where the code was missing and views weren't reported), and then there is the fact that a number of my most viewed posts were from non-outfit related posts, like a giveaway or a linkup, and I wasn't sure if they should count. I think I'll just fly by the seat of my pants here and see what we come up with.

I'm going to ignore blogger - I think those stats are all kinds of wrong. Let's look at the top 5 of all posts:

5. A Letter to my 90 Year Old Grandmother
I have to say, I'm not surprised. When I look at what drives the most search traffic to my blog, this is one of two recurring search terms.



4. About Me page
This one really surprised me. The number 4 most visited entry on my blog wasn't a blog entry at all, but my about me page! Interesting.





3. Marion's Trend of the Month: Boots
I really liked this one myself!




2. Marion's Trend of the Month: Pattern-Mixing
Again, another of Marion's fabulous linkups! I also really liked this one. Personally, I think the pics from this post are some of the nicest ones I've taken! Unfortunately for me, the park that I took these in (which is right across the street from my office park!) has decided to lock their gates and now I can't get in again to take any more. Boo!



And the number one most popular post on my site is......

Kate Middleton, Stuart Weiztman shoes
Via

1. Kate Middleton's Corkswoon wedges - lookalike!
This was the other search term that brings a ton of traffic to my blog.

Overall, I learned a few things:
  • I get a lot of traffic from linkups. Looking at the top 10 most visited posts, 4/10 were linkups. 3/10 were giveaways. And the remaining 1 was the about me page.
  • I get great traffic from search words, but the stuff people search for that brings them to my blog are things that are one-offs from what I usually write. I've thought about incorporating the same type of posts as the lookalike post, but I think when people find my blog from that search, they pop in and pop out, and don't come back. That's not the kind of traffic I want, nor do I want my blog to be all about lookalike items. There are other blogs out there for that! Maybe I'll incorporate more as time goes by.
  • My outfit posts were some of the least viewed. I'd like to think that's because my blog is in its early growing stages. Currently, my blog is getting about 400 views/month. My goal for next year is 1,000/month by June and maybe double that by this time next year.
Now...what were my favorite posts of the year? Top 3:



2. Inspired: Break My Bank




I'm not surprised all these posts are newer - my style has gotten better and better the more that I blog!

And I have one last honorable mention - specifically because I would have never worn a dress as a skirt before I was a style blogger!!!


And don't forget to check out my very first vlog!!!


stillbeingmolly

2 comments:

  1. So proud of you and your blog! You will reach that pageview goal! I just know it. And that post of you in the park is my fave!! Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO SO SO proud of you, girl. you have come so far! and i love your favorite posts, too!! and i am with shanna - that park post is totally my favorite. so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love hearing from readers! Thanks for stopping by!
And I make a point to visit the blogs of my commenters, so if you have one, please leave me a way of getting there along with your comment.

(Please don't leave a comment that's only asking me to go to your blog - you might have a great blog but this type of comment is just bad manners.)