Tuesday, November 27, 2012

[OOTD] Can I Wear a T-Shirt to an Informal Networking Event?

Ah, networking. Something we all need to do. I don't know about you, but I find networking events to be a bit nerve wracking - I always want to make a good impression but I worry that people think you're talking to them only so they can help you!

Regardless, networking is a necessary evil  no matter what your job is - even as a blogger we have to network! But today we're going to talk about those in-the-flesh networking events that are often put together by professional groups or alumni associations. I never know what to wear to them!

My alumni association often puts on these "informal networking events" - where alumni meet up to do something, such as watch a game or volunteer, but the ultimate goal is to network. So, if you find yourself in a similar situation - here's an idea on what to wear! And yes - you can wear a t-shirt!

Tee: H&M, $5 | Jeans: F21 | Flats: Gap | Blazer: old, Burlington Coat Factory | Necklace: New York & Co | Earrings: Ardene's, Canada

The reason this is something I'd wear to an informal networking event is that it combines classy with "not trying too hard". The jeans and flats drop it down a notch, but the blazer still makes the look stylish and appropriate. The tee is fitted, which is super important in this outfit. I chose flats in particular, because often at these events, you're doing a lot of standing. I don't know about you, but for as much as I wear heels, if I'm going to be standing awhile, I prefer flats!!



Clutch: Kohl's


The outfit can easily translate into something more casual if you're moving on to do something like meet a friend for dinner or head out for drinks! Depending on the next location, you can keep the blazer to stay chic, or take it off for a more laid back style.





3 comments:

  1. I like this look. Its casual yet formal! Love your way of pairing a tee with blazer!
    I agree with you about footwear. If there's too much of standing I go for flats too. But of late, I've fallen in love with wedges. It gives height yet its like flats and still smart unlike platforms!!! You should try it too... :) :) :)
    Came here thru 'Because Shannon said so'... I'd love to invite you over to my blog as well and if you like, do follow too! :)
    FASHION PANACHE BLOG

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhh this is PERFECT! i love love love this look, jamie! the blazer TOTALLY makes it networking appropriate :)

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love hearing from readers! Thanks for stopping by!
And I make a point to visit the blogs of my commenters, so if you have one, please leave me a way of getting there along with your comment.

(Please don't leave a comment that's only asking me to go to your blog - you might have a great blog but this type of comment is just bad manners.)