A week or three ago, She Finds wrote about their book, Wear This Now, that came out last week. As an excerpt, they published a list of "10 Things No Self-Respecting Woman Should Ever Have In Her Closet". Let's have a look, shall we?
(Their original comment is in red. The rest is my commentary).
1.White T-shirts with any holes or stains, including yellowed underarm stains–No, you are not allowed to wear them to the gym or even to sleep in, however, you can use them as rags if you must! I agree with this - they've got to go!!!
2. Anything with polka-dots–Even if they come back in season briefly, they never last, and more often than not, you end up looking like a 5-year old in them. Don’t bother. I'm sorry, but I just can't agree here. We've all seen how big polka dots are going to be for the fall, from Michael Kors to Old Navy. Also, I think the right style of polka dots can be classic!! I mean, Audrey Hepburn had a polka dot bikini. What do you think about polka dots?? Should they stay or go?
3. Sweatshirts–you are allowed to keep ONE college sweatshirt for the homecoming game. Ditch the rest. I feel this way about regular old sweatshirts, although I do like the fitted zip-up hoodies (and also just hoodies in general, although the only non-zip hoodies I own are team hoodies....)
4. Light-Wash jeans–They will always make you look fat—it’s a universal truth. I say this depends on your definition of "light wash jeans"....and even then, there are certain women who will never look fat no matter what wash their jeans are.
|Pretty sure Nicky Hilton doesn't look fat...|
5. Mom Jeans that are high-wasted and tapered–They may be comfortable, but if you’ve ever seen a makeover show, you know everyone looks like crap in them. YES, YES, and 1,000 more YESSES! These are the reason why I hope to continue blogging as I get older - to show women you do not have to succumb to these jeans of fashiondeath!
6. Sweatpants with anything written across your butt. I gotta agree here. Comes across as a bit...juvenile? At least to me.
|I love Juicy....but not on my butt.|
7. Bridesmaid Dresses–even though she said you could wear it again, you can’t. I actually think it's ok to hold on to one or two, if for nothing else than it comes in handy to wear to a showing of the movie Bridesmaids, or as part of a dead prom queen Halloween costume.
|Still can be so pretty....|
8. Free employer t-shirts, baseball caps, sweatshirts (see #3) – no one cares that you were on the 2011 super team marketing launch. I agree, unless your employer is really, really cool.
|A conference is also not cool.|
9. T-shirts that hit above the hip. I soooo agree with this one, but this might be more personal than anything because my hips are so darn high.
(Ok I tried every combination of words imaginable to search for a picture of this and came up with NOTHING.)
10. Cotton sweaters–They stretch out and fade. Go for cashmere or merino wool. Hmm...I don't know that I have any cotton sweaters, so I can't really speak to this. Maybe my memory is just fading?
|Will it stretch out?|
So what do you think? Do you agree these need to go or do you think some of them can stay?