Friday, August 10, 2012

[Beauty] Product Conundrum

There is a question that I've been pondering for a little while now, and I'd like to get your opinions!

What do you do when you've bought or been gifted a beauty product, you try it, and it doesn't work for you?

I am currently have number of products that fall into that category and I just don't know what to do with them. I can't seem to just throw them out - at least, not the full size ones - so I keep them around hoping I'll figure out what to do with them. Seriously, all they're really doing is taking up space.

Sometimes I can't help having them, if they're a gift or something, but often I just make the bad purchase. Honestly, my skin is super tolerant, as is my hair, so I like to try out new things, looking for the ones that work best for me. However, sometimes I get some bad apples.

I've tried asking friends if they might want to try them. Most of them say no, others who say yes never seem to connect with me frequently enough for me to remember to give it to them. I've tried putting them in the guest bathroom for others to use when they show up to visit - but no one does. They just take up space in that bathroom over there instead of the bathroom over here.

So, what do I do with these things? Just buck up and ignore the feeling of being wasteful - and toss them in the garbage?

Here's some of the things I'm talking about:

Benefit The POREFessional


Seriously? This stuff makes my face SO GREASY. Like, you'd think I'd been playing in a vat of vegetable oil if you touched my face at any point after using this stuff. Thankfully, I only have a small sized tube of this as it was part of a Birchbox I believe. I honestly wouldn't have trouble throwing it away. I just hang on to it thinking it will be different the next time I try it. And it never is.

Bath and Body Works Midnight Pomegranate Hand Cream


This one is also a question of grease. I don't know what it is with my skin, but I must be pretty well moisturized because so many of them just don't absorb. This one doesn't absorb hardly at all - everything I touch for at least 15 minutes after putting it on slips right out of my hands because they're so greasy. (Can I mention here I hate that feeling? Of grease?? It makes me shudder thinking about it). Oddly enough, Bath and Body Works' Anti-Bacterial Moisturizing hand lotion doesn't cause me this problem and is my go to. This sucker is a full sized tube in my house, gifted from a friend who knows I love this scent. I used all the other stuff she gave me but this one. 

Biore Blemish Fighting Ice Cleanser


This one burns the heck out of my face - and I don't have sensitive skin. My skin turns red after using this, though. Another nearly full, full-size product taking up space. This was a bad purchase by me.

Aveeno Clear Complexion Daily Cleansing Pads


These give me similar issues as the Biore cleanser. The texture of the pads is really abrasive feeling on my skin, and again, it turns bright red. I bought this one, too.

Dove Ultimate Clear Energizing


You guys, I love Dove deodorant. Seriously. It's all I'll use. I have all of the Ultimate Clears and Ultimate Visibly Smooths. I love them. I like switching up scents. So I kind of collect them all. But this one - this scent - made me nauseous. This one I did actually toss, though, cause who wants to use someone else's deodorant, unless ya'll are super close? In which case - go at the 5 other scents I own, haha. :)


So....What to do!???

4 comments:

  1. Hmm, I don't really know what to do with the extra products. I always read reviews of things before I buy if I'm at all weary and I like buying from places that let you return even after you've opened it :)

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart
    JEWELIQ Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate when I buy something and I don't like it! I'll usually end up keeping in my cupboard for a year before I end up throwing it away. I HATE wasting things but it's obvious I'll never use it. Just recently, I've started bringing those products to work and giving it to my co-workers. Then, if no one wants it there, I will throw it out of work. It's easier to do it this way because it's already out of my house and for some strange reason, I don't feel as guilty throwing it away.

    xo Jenny
    www.crazystylelove.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so interesting how we each react to products differently! I love that same Biore cleanser, but I've had other products do that type of thing to me. Some people will buy that type of thing at a garage sale...I know it seems weird...but there are always those people out there! haha. Usually if I don't like a product though I just give it to my sister or best friend, and they do the same for me! It's kindof a like a little trading system :)
    Thank you for your sweet comment!

    ~Jacy

    www.laviedelenore.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I say toss them; you'll feel better that your bathroom is less cluttered. Next time you want to try something out, get it from Walgreens. They have a no questions asked return policy for beauty products, even if you've used it :)

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love hearing from readers! Thanks for stopping by!
And I make a point to visit the blogs of my commenters, so if you have one, please leave me a way of getting there along with your comment.

(Please don't leave a comment that's only asking me to go to your blog - you might have a great blog but this type of comment is just bad manners.)